Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thanks to the Universe

Today I took another step in the right direction.

Watching what I eat and limiting my ice cream and pop intake has not been working.  It’s really hard, simple as that.  It’s really frustrating.  I know what I need to do, I know I don’t do it.  That’s the dilemma.  I have everything I need to be fulfilled, every opportunity to be happy and healthy and yet I find my life, at best, unsatisfying.  I was talking to my good friend (my husband calls her my wife since we talk so much!) and she told me a tragic story.  One of her coworkers died of a sudden heart attack at the tender age of 36 years old.  We don’t know all the details of his life other than he was married, had some kids, seemed in okay shape and was a smoker.  How sad and unfair.  Accidents happen, we can slip and fall on our head or get hit by a truck at any moment, that’s life, but cancer and heart attacks feel preventable and far off. I give them little thought but the reality is, like an accident, our bodies can give out to any number of serious health issues at anytime.  This tragedy brings to light the neglect and abuse my body endures at my own hands.  I have been given many gifts and it I am obligated to appreciate them, anything less is a slap in the face to the universe that bestowed upon me my health and wealth.

I joined Weight Watchers.  I am really excited about it.  Counting calories is a pretty complicated  business, the POINTS system of Weight Watchers feels attainable.  I went to my first meeting this morning.  I’m just learning what it’s all about and so far I am encouraged.  With the support of others in a similar situation as myself and tools to help me figure what and how to eat I can really get a good start to changing my perspective on life.

4 comments: